Skip navigation

PGL - Frequently asked question


I'm not due to repay my loan yet but my employer has taken deductions?

You’re due to repay your Postgraduate Loan when you’re earning above the repayment threshold and only when your Postgraduate Loan enters repayment.

If your employer has taken deductions early please contact us.

I earned less than the repayment threshold but had repayments taken. Can I get a refund ?

Yes, you can apply to us for a refund of any repayments you have made where you earned less than the repayment threshold for that financial year. The repayment threshold is £21,000.

We can only process a refund at the end of a tax year either once we've received confirmation of your PAYE income and student loan deductions from HM Revenue & Customs or where you supply us with a P60 showing this information.

What happens if I change employer?

If you change employer, your new employer may ask which repayment plan type you have, Plan 1, Plan 2 or Postgraduate Loan (PGL), to set the correct threshold and to work out any repayments deductions based on your income. Your plan type can be found on any recent correspondence. You can also work out your plan type yourself.

Can I make extra repayments?

You can make voluntary repayments by debit card at any time, directly to us, by using the Make a Payment service.

When you make a repayment directly to SLC, the way the money is applied to your balance depends on the status of your account. Find out more about the way direct repayments are allocated to your balance.

Any extra repayments won’t affect the amount you repay through your salary. So, if you’re employed and earning over the threshold, your employer will continue to take repayments from your salary.

If you repay through self assessment, you’ll still have to repay the amount based on your income for the year. You can’t get a refund of any amounts you repay voluntarily, unless you’ve finished paying off your loan and repaid too much.

Can I pay off my loan in full?

If you want to pay off your Postgraduate Loan you must call us on 0300 100 0611 (Mon – Fri 8am – 8pm) or if you live in Wales 0300 100 0370 (Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm) to get an up-to-date settlement figure first

I think I have overpaid my Postgraduate Loan, what should I do?

You should contact us as soon as possible on 0300 100 0611 or 0300 100 0370 if you live in Wales.

You’ll be entitled to a refund if you overpay your loan but we can only authorise a refund either:

  • once HMRC confirms your total earnings and student loan repayments at the end of the tax year; or
  • you send us your pay slips showing your student loan deductions for the current tax year.

What if I have repaid too much and have a credit balance?

If you have a credit balance when your loan has been repaid in full, we’ll will write to you to advise interest will accrue for a further 60 days at RPI+3%. After the 60 days have passed, no further interest will be added to the credit balance on your account

Can my Postgraduate Loan be cancelled?

Normally any outstanding loan you have will be written off 30 years after it comes into repayment.

If you receive a disability-related benefit and are permanently unfit for work, we can cancel the loan . However, we cannot cancel a loan unless we receive medical confirmation together with evidence of your disability benefit.

background image
Site Search