Foreign travel advice



The Vanuatu government has confirmed an outbreak of dengue fever in the capital city Port Vila and the provinces of Shefa, Sanma, Tafea and Torba. You should follow the advice of local authorities and take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

The tropical cyclone season normally runs from November to May. You should monitor local and international weather updates and follow the advice of the local authorities. See Natural disasters

Vanuatu lies on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’ and regularly experiences seismic and volcanic activity, with over 2,000 seismic events reported each year. See Earthquakes

The Vanuatu Geohazards Department has issued level 2 alerts for both the northern and southern volcanoes of Ambrym and Tanna. Local communities and tourists have been banned from visiting the rim of these craters. There is a (lower) level 1 alert for a volcano on Ambae island.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Vanuatu, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

There’s no British diplomatic mission in Vanuatu. The British High Commission in Honiara, Solomon Islands provides consular assistance for British nationals in Vanuatu. In an emergency the New Zealand High Commission in Port Vila or the French Embassy may also be able to help.