Submissions to Call A and Call B have now closed.
We invited HEFCE-funded institutions to submit proposals for two types of projects.
Under Call A, 66 universities and colleges have been awarded £2.7 million to develop small-scale experimental innovations in learning and teaching.
Call A: Small-scale, ‘experimental’ innovation in learning and teaching
(Up to £50,000 is available per project)
This money will support innovations in either undergraduate or postgraduate taught provision and deliver short-term outputs over an 18-month period.
We are particularly, but not exclusively, interested in proposals which:
- develop curriculum innovations from interdisciplinary research, interdisciplinary professional practice or both
- respond to employer demands for advanced skills or knowledge (but note that we will be funding development of degree apprenticeships under a separate call in the autumn)
- develop use of learner analytics for particular pedagogic purposes.
Call B: Addressing barriers to student success
(Up to £500,000 is available per project)
This call invited expressions of interest to scale up activities to address barriers to student success, building on the recommendations in the critical review ‘Causes of differences in student outcomes’ commissioned by HEFCE.
Through the call we aim to:
- support collaborations that will develop systematic and strategic approaches to addressing differential student outcomes
- support collaborations that will scale up successful innovations for students with specific learning difficulties
- support collaborations that will scale up successful innovations which support students with mental health issues
- identify how good practice and interventions can be validated, replicated, transmitted and embedded across a diverse range of providers, and identify what conditions need to be present to facilitate this.
Proposals will be collaborative projects involving a minimum of three institutions
Successful expressions of interest attended a development workshop on 7-8 November with their collaborators where outline proposals were developed with facilitation.
Full Call B proposals were submitted on 5 December 2016 and decisions will be announced in early 2017.
We have published a report on enablers of innovation in learning and teaching.