Foreign travel advice



Download map (PDF)

There were shooting incidents at a nightclub in Playa del Carmen on 16 January and at the state prosecutor’s office in downtown Cancun on 17 January 2017. There were 2 further shootings in downtown Cancun on 14 March 2017. There is currently an increased police presence in the Cancun area, including in the hotel zone. The situation in the hotel zone is calm. You should continue to follow the advice of the local authorities and your tour operator.

UK health authorities have classified Mexico as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For more information and advice, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

The hurricane season normally runs from June to November and affects both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms on the website of the US National Hurricane Centre and follow the advice of the local authorities, including any evacuation orders. See our tropical cyclones page for information and advice about what to do if you’re caught up in a storm.

Protests have affected Mexico City and other parts of the country. There have been protests across Mexico following petrol price rises announced on 1 January 2017. This includes the blocking of highways and looting. You should avoid demonstrations and follow the advice of the local authorities if you’re in an area where a protest is taking place.

Over 513,800 British nationals visited Mexico in 2016. Most visits are trouble-free.

The security situation can pose a risk for foreigners. Be alert to the existence of street crime as well as more serious violent crime like robbery, assault and vehicle hijacking. In certain parts of Mexico you should take particular care to avoid being caught up in drug related violence between criminal groups. See Crime and Violence

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Mexico, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.