Navigate Up
Sign In

The Winding-Up budget

The Winding-Up budget is to help meet the costs of completing your outstanding parliamentary functions when you leave Parliament. All costs incurred under the MPs Scheme of Business Costs and Expenses from 8 May to 8 July, will come from the Winding-Up budget. Staff redundancy payments and rent for your accommodation are covered by the Contingency Fund.  

The budget is available to you the day after the Election (8 May) up until 8 July. There will be an ‘EXPENSES: Winding-Up form’ to submit claims on the online expenses system. The Winding-Up budget will be £57,150 for London Area MPs and £53,950 for Non-London Area MPs.

What can I claim under the Winding-Up budget?

·         Salary and National Insurance costs for any staff members who continue to work for you (for up to a maximum of two months after you leave Parliament);


·         Other contractual liabilities for staff in respect of the two months after the General Election, such as employer pension contributions, overtime worked, untaken holiday and Pay In Lieu Of Notice, if allowed by staff contracts;


·         Contractual liabilities for offices and/or equipment, such as office rent, utility bills, and equipment rental payments for the notice period;


·         Travel costs where necessary for the completion of parliamentary functions, with certification that the travel was for the purpose of closing down such functions;


·         Any costs reasonably incurred under the terms of an office rental agreement, such as the costs of redecorating the office and making good dilapidations;


·         Postage, stationery and telephone costs, subject to the rules in Chapter Six of the Scheme, with evidence that the claim relates to the conclusion of parliamentary functions;


·         The costs of removing items such as furniture from the MP's office;


·         Other associated costs, such as the shredding of confidential waste or cleaning the hard disk of any IT equipment which has been purchased under the Scheme; and


·         The costs, including removal costs, of leaving any accommodation funded under the Scheme, but excluding redecoration and cleaning costs.

How do I track my Winding-Up budget?

If you would like to see how much you have spent of your Winding-Up budget, you can access reports on the online expenses system. The ‘Summary of Expenditure’ report is useful to track your budgets.

Although you have a Winding-Up budget, you still have access to your normal budgets (OCE, Staffing, Travel, and Accommodation) to submit bills that were incurred between 1 April – 7 May. The deadline to submit bills incurred from 1 April – 7 May is 6 August. The deadline to submit claims under the winding up budget is 6 October.​

  • Was this page useful?