Planning Portal

  1. Building Regulations
  2. How to get approval
  3. Where to get approval

Where to get approval

The role of checking that Building Regulations are being complied with falls to Building Control Bodies.

There are two types - a Local Authority Building Control service and a private sector Approved Inspector Building Control service.

Customers are free to choose which type of Building Control Body they use on their project. There are voluntary Performance Standards in place for Building Control Bodies.


Start here by reading an overview of what is involved in getting Building Regulations approval.

Local Authority Building Control services

Every local authority in England and Wales provides a building control service to accept building regulations applications and to help homeowners and building professionals.

Approved Inspector Building Control services

Approved Inspectors are companies or individuals authorised under the Building Act 1984 to carry out building control work in England and Wales.

Competent Person Self-certification

Competent person schemes were introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

3rd Party Certification

The performance of an element of a building will be partly dependent on two things:

Building Control Performance Standards

These Standards and the associated guidance have now been revised by the Building Control Performance Standards Advisory Group (BCPSAG).