Porth Cynllunio

  1. Building Regulations (cy)
  2. Approved documents
  3. Approved Document F (Ventilation)
  4. Ventilation (Part F) - FAQ

Ventilation (Part F) - FAQ

Dim ar gael Cyfieithu Cymraeg

Dim ond yn Saesneg y mae’r adran hon o’r wefan ar gael ar hyn o bryd. Hoffem ymddiheuro am unrhyw drafferth y mae hynny’n ei beri.

Q1. When did the 2006 edition of Approved Document F come into force?

The 2006 edition came into force on 6 April 2006. Amendments were published in February 2007. Building control approval of full plans applications is normally valid for three years so buildings completed after April 2006, which were the subject of a full plans application, could have been approved under the 1995 edition of Part F, as amended in 2000. You can read the 1995 and 2006 Approved Documents and the 2007 amendment on the Approved Document F webpage.

Q2. Requirement F2 of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations, Condensation in roofs, has been transferred to Part C of that Schedule. When did this change take place?

This subject is now covered by requirement C2(c) in Part C of Schedule 1. The change came into force in December 2004. The detailed guidance on condensation in roofs that was in Approved Document F (1995) has not been transferred to Approved Document C (2004), which instead refers in paragraphs 6.10 to 6.14 to guidance in other documents.

Q3. I have a cooker hood fitted in the kitchen of my new home. Does this satisfy the guidance on extract ventilation given in Approved Document F (2006)?

Yes, if the hood extracts the air to outside the building and provides at least the minimum intermittent or continuous extract rate (as appropriate) given in Table 1.1a of Approved Document F (2006).

No, if the hood only filters the air and recirculates it back into the kitchen. This is because the purpose of extract ventilation is to remove polluted air at source and draw fresh air into the building to replace it. A recirculating cooker hood only removes certain pollutants, and does not draw fresh air into the building, so does not provide extract ventilation.

Q4. I am replacing the kitchen and/or bathroom in an existing house. Must I fit extract fans?

If any of the work you are doing in the kitchen or bathroom is ‘building work’, as defined in regulation 3 of the Building Regulations, the Regulations require that you do not make compliance with other requirements of the Regulations, including ventilation, worse than before. The Regulations also require you to notify a building control body before you start work that you will be carrying out ‘building work’.

The definition of ‘building work’ in regulation 3 of the Building Regulations includes a range of building activities in existing buildings.

If you carry out any ‘building work’, and there is an existing extract fan or passive stack ventilator (or cooker hood extracting to outside in the kitchen), you should retain or replace it. However, if there is no existing ventilation system you need not provide one. Replacing an extract fan or cooker hood with a similar type, and using the existing cabling, is not building work, and so need not be notified to a building control body.

Q5. I am fitting a kitchen and bathroom in a new extension to an existing house. What are the ventilation requirements?

Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations defines an extension to an existing house as ‘building work’. Consequently, normal building control notification procedures will apply. All new work must comply with the applicable requirements of Schedule 1 to the Regulations, including any electrical work which must comply with Part P of Schedule 1 to the Regulations, and the ventilation which must comply with Part F.

Section 3 of Approved Document F (2006) provides guidance on how to comply with the ventilation requirements for work on existing buildings. In particular, paragraphs 3.11 – 3.15 are relevant because they apply to the addition of a ‘wet room’. Both kitchens and bathrooms are classed as wet rooms for Approved Document F (2006).