1. Overview

If you get a form from the court claiming that you owe someone money, don’t ignore it.

If you don’t reply, or miss the deadline, you may end up paying more, and you could get a county court judgment.

You must respond within 14 days of receiving the form.

How to respond

You can respond by filling in court forms, or using Money Claim Online if the claim was made online.

The login details will be on the claim form sent by the court.

Ask for more time to respond

If you need more time, you can ask for another 14 days to respond.

To do this, fill in the acknowledgment of service form in the response pack, and return it to the court.

This will show that you’re looking at the claim, not ignoring it, and will give you a total of 28 days to reply.

Court claims in Scotland

The law is different in Scotland - see guidance from the Accountant in Bankruptcy (Scotland’s insolvency service).

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.