Responsibilities of the Minister without Portfolio include contributing to the government’s policy and decision making processes.
Current role holder: The Rt Hon John Hayes MP
John Hayes was appointed Minister without Portfolio on 28 March 2013. He has been the Conservative MP for South Holland and The Deepings since 1997.
John was educated at Colfe’s Grammar School and Nottingham University, where he graduated with a BA in politics and a PGCE in history/English.
John joined the Conservative Party at the age of 14. His career highlights include:
- Vice Chairman of the Conservative Party 1999
- Shadow Schools Minister 2000
- Assistant Opposition Chief Whip 2001
- Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food 2002 to 2003
- Shadow Minister for Housing and Planning 2003 to 2005
- Shadow Minister for Lifelong Learning, Further and Higher Education 2007 to 2010
- Minister of State for Further Education, Skills and Lifelong Learning in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills and the Department for Education May 2010 to September 2012
- Minister of State for Energy, Department of Energy and Climate Change September 2012 to March 2013.
Career outside politics
Before entering Parliament, John was a sales director for The Data Base Ltd, an IT company based in Nottingham.
John and his wife have 2 sons.