|home | about this site | stories | the gallery | schools | migration histories | tracing your roots | search|
|Migration Histories > Jewish > Jewish Migration Histories - Working Lives|
|Sir Montague Burton and his Business Expansion|
The Zimmerman sales ledger records a significant change in 1910. On 22 September, sales are to 'M Burton', but by 30 September they are to 'Burton and Burton'. This may have reflected the marriage partnership, and certainly coincided with the business moving from Sheffield to Elmwood Mills, Camp Road, Leeds. Burton and Burton continued purchasing clothing from Zimmermans until 1911, as one of the last entries in the sales ledger shows.
By 1914 the business had outgrown the Elmwood Mills works. The main works were now transferred to Concord Mills, in the Leylands, which was the Jewish heartland of Leeds. Kelly's 1915 Directory of Leeds shows 'Burton and Burton, wholesale clothiers' at 18 Concord Street - the same address as 'Zimmerman, Silver and Cohen, tailors' and 'Zimmerman Bros, tailors'.
When Stanley Howard Burton had been born in 1914, his father described himself as a 'tailor (Master)', and gave his name as 'Maurice Burton'. When the twins Arnold and Raymond were born three years later, however, he would describe himself as a 'clothing manufacturer', and call himself 'Montague Maurice Burton'.
Between 1910 and the outbreak of war in 1914, the number of shops increased to 14, mainly in the industrial Midlands. They had sold men's ready-to-wear suits from the outset, but from 1906 had also offered a bespoke - or made-to-measure - service. This would grow to become the world's largest wholesale bespoke tailoring service.
Creators: Brett Harrison
|contact us | help | site map||copyright | privacy|