Buy or renew your tax disc (vehicle licence) online - get tax for your car, motorbike, lorry, bus or other vehicle that needs a tax disc.
Start now on the DVLA website
You can pay for your tax disc online if all of the following apply:
- you’re the vehicle’s registered keeper
- DVLA already has your correct name, address and vehicle details
- you have your reminder letter (V11 or V85/1) or registration certificate (V5C)
- your vehicle is insured
- your vehicle has an MOT if it needs one
You may also need a Goods Vehicle or PSV test certificate to tax a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or passenger service vehicle (PSV).
You should get your new tax disc in the post within 5 working days.
You have 14 days before you need to display the new disc if you applied before your old disc expired.
You may be exempt or pay a reduced amount of vehicle tax if you receive certain benefits because of your disability. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply.
Apply by phone
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
Textphone: 0300 790 6201
Find out about call charges
At a Post Office
Take the following to any Post Office that issues tax discs:
- completed V11 reminder
- insurance certificate or cover note
- MOT test certificate if required (must be valid when the tax disc starts)
- the payment shown on the reminder
Heavy goods vehicles
Take your V85/1 reminder to any Post Office that issues tax discs. You also need to take:
- vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
- valid insurance certificate or cover note
- valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test certificate
- plating certificate - if you haven’t got the the registration certificate or the vehicle has been re-plated since the last tax was issued
- valid reduced pollution certificate (if needed)
- the payment shown on the reminder (if needed)