Buy or renew your tax disc (vehicle licence) online - get tax for your car, motorbike, lorry, bus or other vehicle that needs a tax disc.

What you need to know

Start now on the DVLA website

You can pay for your tax disc online if all of the following apply:

  • you’re the vehicle’s registered keeper
  • DVLA already has your correct name, address and vehicle details
  • you have your reminder letter (V11 or V85/1) or registration certificate (V5C)
  • your vehicle is insured
  • your vehicle has an MOT if it needs one

You may also need a Goods Vehicle or PSV test certificate to tax a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) or passenger service vehicle (PSV).

You should get your new tax disc in the post within 5 working days.

You have 14 days before you need to display the new disc if you applied before your old disc expired.

Disability exemption

You may be exempt or pay a reduced amount of vehicle tax if you receive certain benefits because of your disability. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply.

Apply by phone

Telephone: 0300 123 4321
Textphone: 0300 790 6201
Find out about call charges

At a Post Office

Take the following to any Post Office that issues tax discs:

  • completed V11 reminder
  • insurance certificate or cover note
  • MOT test certificate if required (must be valid when the tax disc starts)
  • the payment shown on the reminder

Heavy goods vehicles

Take your V85/1 reminder to any Post Office that issues tax discs. You also need to take:

  • vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • valid insurance certificate or cover note
  • valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test certificate
  • plating certificate - if you haven’t got the the registration certificate or the vehicle has been re-plated since the last tax was issued
  • valid reduced pollution certificate (if needed)
  • the payment shown on the reminder (if needed)

If you don’t have your V11 or V85/1 reminder

You can pay car tax using a form V10 or a V85 form for Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs).

You need a V5C registration certificate to apply using form V10 or V85.

Get started on the DVLA website

Help us improve GOV.UK by telling us: