In this video the Secretary of State, Andrew Lansley makes the following points:
- Today we are publishing our proposals for how we can reform care and support
- We all recognise that there has been a system that has tended to just be for the moment of crisis, and a service which has tended to be complex, confusing and unfair.
- In the white paper we set out how we can have a service in which: people can rely upon wherever they are in the country, is quality because we give people the feedback on the care providers available, we boost the workforce in terms of numbers and training, we give people more choice and control to make decisions about their own care
- We want people to be able to plan and prepare ahead. We support the principles of Andrew Dilnott’s report.
- We are going to implement a system of deferred payments. We are going to make a decision about how that can best be paid for in the future.
- We can do much through the white paper to reform the legislation, and the quality of service provide, so that people feel they have a care and support system that provides reassurance people need about what would happen to them if they become frail and vulnerable in the future.