Part 1: Challenge your band

In England and Scotland, valuation bands are based on property values on 1 April 1991, not what a property is worth today. In Wales, valuation bands are based on property values on 1 April 2003.

You should continue to pay your your Council Tax bill while you challenge your band.

England and Wales

You can challenge a Council Tax band by:

  • asking the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to check it – eg if you think your home was valued incorrectly
  • making a formal challenge to the VOA – you can only do this in certain circumstances (eg if your property has changed significantly since it was valued)

Ask the VOA to check your Council Tax band

Contact the VOA.

They will tell you how your Council Tax band has been worked out. They can review your band if you provide information that suggests it’s wrong (eg evidence that similar properties in your street are in a different band).

If they agree your band is wrong, they’ll put it right. This service is free. Your council will then update your Council Tax bill.

You can’t appeal against this decision, but in some cases you may be able to make a formal challenge to the VOA.

Make a formal challenge to the VOA

First, check your Council Tax band on the VOA website, then follow the link ‘Do you think this Council Tax band is wrong?’

There are certain circumstances when you can formally challenge a band (eg if your property’s been demolished or converted into flats) - use the checklist to see if this applies to you.

In England, if you make a formal challenge and disagree with the VOA’s decision, you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal. You’ll need to appeal within 3 months of the VOA’s decision.

The Tribunal provides a free service and can’t award costs.

In Wales, the VOA decides most challenges without having to go to tribunal. If you and VOA can’t agree, your challenge will be heard by a local valuation tribunal.

If the tribunal agrees with you, the VOA will change your band and the council will update your bill.


Check your Council Tax band on the Scottish Assessors website, then follow the link ‘Make a proposal’.

Your proposal will go to the local Assessor. If it can’t be resolved through discussion, it will be sent to the local Valuation Appeal Committee for a decision.

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve GOV.UK by telling us: