The World War II site

A major complex of Second World War defensive structures situated between the River Lea and Channelsea River was excavated and recorded, revealing a wealth of detail. Structural remains relating to the buildings and artefacts, including a number of Second World War helmets, were recovered.

The structures in the north of the Olympic Park comprise two gun platforms, a possible cordite room, a magazine, a possible Bofors (anti-aircraft) gunsite, three pillboxes, a radar station and a possible Incendiary Bomb and Pyrotechnic Store. The oldest remains date to 1938, when the gun emplacement was constructed. The pillboxes and other buildings were constructed between 1941 and 1943.