Number 10 Downing Street

The official site of the British Prime Minister's Office

Organise a Street Party

Organise a street party (PA Copyright)What is it?

A street party is a great way to meet your neighbours, to celebrate national milestones like the Diamond Jubilee or just to say thanks to someone in your area.  Almost 5,000 street parties were held in the UK to celebrate the Royal Wedding on 29 April – but you don’t have to wait for a special occasion.

How can I get involved?

  • Your local council should have information about what you need to do to organise a street party in your area. Enter your postcode at Directgov – Find out how to hold a street party to find information relevant to your area.
  • It’s not as difficult as you might think. You shouldn’t need to fill in complicated forms to ask for a street closure – all your council needs to know is where and when the closure will take place so they can plan around this (for example, so emergency services know).
  • Your council shouldn’t charge you for a road closure. The Department for Transport has scrapped guidance that was being used by councils as an excuse to charge people wanting to close their road. If your council is charging, you have every right to challenge them.
  • If you don’t want to close the road, or you can’t close it (for example because you live on a main road), you could consider organising a ‘Street Meet’ in another space such as a local park, driveway, cul-de-sac or garden. You don’t need a food license, and you don’t need a license to drink alcohol – only if you’re selling it.
  • And there is no requirement from central government to have public liability insurance. Many councils do not insist on it, so you can challenge those who do.

Where can I find out more?