In this third blog about the Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia, Alistair talks about creating dementia friendly communities, and improving dementia research.
There are four key parts to creating dementia friendly communities:
- up to 20 cities, towns and villages have signed up to be dementia friendly across England by 2015
- the idea needs support from leading businesses
- an awareness raising campaign
- A major event in 2012 getting together people from academia, business and public sector leaders.
- there will be a doubling in funding for research to £60 Million by 2015
- there will be a major investment in brain scanning
- there will be extra money from the economic and social research council
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) have funded 4 new NIHR dementia bio medical research units.
- participation in high quality research – the aspiration is that 10% of people with dementia will be involved in a clinical trial.