- There were 141,820 firearm certificates on issue on 31 March 2012, an increase of 0.3 per cent compared with 141,347 on issue at the end of March 2011.
- The number of firearms covered by such certificates (477,888 firearms) increased in the last year and is the highest number since these figures were first collected in 1995.
- There were 562,696 shotgun certificates on issue on 31 March 2012, a fall of 0.3 per cent from the 564,269 on issue at the end of March 2011. The longer-term trend since 2002 in shotgun certificates is relatively flat.
- There were 11,502 new firearm certificates granted in 2011/12, an increase of two per cent from the 11,286 certificates granted during 2010/11. This follows an increase of 19 per cent between 2009/10 and 2010/11 and a six per cent fall between 2008/09 and 2009/10.
Date: Thu Aug 16 09:30:41 BST 2012
- Firearm and Shotgun Certificates in England and Wales 2011/12 (PDF file - 600kb)
- Data tables - Firearm and Shotgun Certificates in England and Wales 2011/12 (Microsoft Excel file - 255kb)
- Statistical news release for Firearm and Shotgun Certificates in England and Wales 2011/12 (PDF file - 91kb)
- Pre-Release Access To: Firearm and Shotgun Certificates In England And Wales 2011/12 (PDF file - 27kb)
To view a document in Adobe PDF format, you may first need to download a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat reader (new window)
You can also find out more information on Adobe accessibility features (new window).