The overarching purpose of the Review Group is to bring together a range of experts and delivery partners to take stock of progress in meeting national ambitions to reduce excess weight and to consider what more needs to be done to achieve maximum impact.
The Group’s objectives are to:
- Consider and interpret national statistics on excess weight. This will include noting annually whether England is on track to meet the national ambitions, as well as considering important patterns and advising on the factors driving these, and the implications for future priorities.
- Share and synthesise insights, evidence and experience of initiatives to address or prevent excess weight and of the wider obesity landscape, to build a robust picture of thinking on particular topical issues and highlight important new learning.
- Based on the above, advise on opportunities for research and support in the future for DH and others to consider. These might cover gaps in current knowledge, national policy, or support for local efforts.
Terms of reference
- Dr Jessica Allen – Deputy Director, Institute of Health Equity
- Prof Paul Aveyard – Professor of Behavioural Medicine, University of Oxford; Vice President, Society for Behavioural Medicine; General Practitioner, Birmingham
- Will Blandamer – Director, Greater Manchester Public Health Network
- Sanjay Pathak – Alliance Boots
- John Byrne – Director, Leicestershire & Rutland County Sports Partnership
- Catherine Collins – Chief Dietician, St George’s Hospital; Spokeswoman, British Dietetic Association
- Sue Davies – Chief Policy Adviser, Which?
- Prof Chris Drinkwater – President and Public Health Lead, NHS Alliance
- Louise Ansari – Director of Research, Diabetes UK
- Prof Nick Finer – Chairman, Experts in Severe and Complex Obesity (ESCO); Clinical Specialist, University College London Hospitals
- Carolyn West – Midwife, NHS Doncaster
- Prof David Haslam – General Practitioner, Hertfordshire; Chair, National Obesity Forum
- Zoe Hellman – Head of Public Health, Weight Watchers Europe
- Prof Andrew Hill – Professor of Medical Psychology, University of Leeds
- Philip Insall – Director, Health, Sustrans
- Dr Susan Jebb – Obesity Science Adviser to Department of Health;Co-chair, Responsibility Deal Food Network; Head of Diet and Population Health, Medical Research Council
- Melanie Leech – Director General, Food & Drink Federation
- Paul Lincoln – Chief Executive, National Heart Forum
- Prof Ian Macdonald – Professor of Metabolic Physiology, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Nottingham
- Prof Marie Murphy – Head of Ulster Sports Academy, Sport and Exercise Sciences Research Institute
- Andrew Opie – Director of Food & Sustainability, British Retail Consortium
- Dr John Radford – Director of Public Health, Rotherham
- Cllr Linda Thomas – Vice-Chair of Local Government Association Community Wellbeing Programme Board; Bolton Council
- Martin Smith – Chief Executive, Ealing Council
- Prof Terence Stephenson – Vice Chair, Academy of Medical Royal Colleges; President, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Prof Jane Wardle – Honorary Clinical and Research Director, Weight Concern