The Advisory Group on Hepatitis (AGH) is an advisory non-departmental public body which is non-statutory.
Terms of reference
To advise the Chief Medical Officers in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on appropriate policies for the prevention and control of viral hepatitis in the community and in health care settings, but excluding advice on the microbiological safety of blood and tissues for transplantation, and of health care equipment.
The Group’s views on immunisation measures are submitted to the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
Advice on the restriction of working practices of individual health care workers infected with hepatitis viruses and on the conduct of patient notification exercises are the responsibility of the UK Advisory Panel for Health Care Workers infected with Blood-borne Viruses, working within the policy advice given by the Group.
News and publications
- Professor Will Irving (Chair Professor of Virology, University of Nottingham and Honorary Consultant in Virology, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust)
- Professor Graham Foster ((Vice-Chair) Professor of Hepatology, The Royal London Hospital)
- Professor Margaret Bassendine (Professor of Hepatology, University of Newcastle, Hon Consultant Physician, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Trust)
- Dr Anna Geretti (Consultant Clinical Virologist, UCL, London)
- Dr Matt Hickman (Reader, Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol)
- Professor Deirdre Kelly (Consultant Paediatric Hepatologist, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Birmingham)
- Mr Christopher Liffen (Lay Member, London)
- Dr Marion Lyons (Lead Consultant in Communicable Disease Control for the Health Protection Team, National Public Health for Wales, Cardiff)
- Dr Alan Mitchell (GP, Glasgow)
- Dr Peter Moss (Consultant and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Infection and Tropical Medicine Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust)
- Dr Elizabeth Murphy (Lead Consultant Occupational Physician, NHS Grampian Occupational Health Service, Aberdeen)
- Dr Christopher Packham (Director of Public Health, Nottingham City PCT)
- Mr Raymond Poll Nurse (Consultant – viral hepatitis, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield)
- Dr Cheuk Tong (Consultant Virologist, St Thomas’ Hospital
Immunisation, Blood Safety and Hepatitis Department
Health Protection Agency
61 Colindale Avenue