After much discussion about the way the murals were to be made, it was decided that the artists would paint, not directly on the walls, but on panels in their studios which
would then be attached to the walls.
This was done later under the direction of an architectural advisor, Frederick Etchells, an old acquaintance
of the Bloomsbury group, who had abandoned painting for architecture.
The panels were dedicated at a service on 10 October 1943, when the sermon was preached by the Bishop of Chichester.
The murals were greeted with great enthusiasm and letters of praise poured in.
Sir Charles Reilly, the originator and fundraiser for the scheme, suggested that entering the church was now:
like stepping out of a foggy England into Italy
Berwick Church murals
© Keith Booth