The following collective pledges support the core commitment to support our workforce to lead healthier lives.
H1. We will embed the principles of the chronic conditions guides (developed through the Responsibility Deal’s health at work network) within HR procedures to ensure that those with chronic conditions at work are managed in the best way possible with reasonable flexibilities and workplace adjustments.
H2. We will use only occupational health services which meet the new occupational health standards and which aim to be accredited by 2012/13.
H3. We will include a section on the health and wellbeing of employees within annual reports and/or on our website. We will record our sickness absence rate and actively manage this as an organisation.
H4. We will implement some basic measures for encouraging healthier staff restaurants/ vending outlets/buffets for staff, including:
- Ensuring the availability of healthier foods and beverages in all available channels to employees
- Working with caterers to reformulate recipes to provide meals which are lower in fat, salt, and energy and which do not contain artificial trans fats
- Provision of responsibly sized portions of foods
- Provision and promotion of the consumption of fruit and vegetables through availability and price promotion
- Provision of calories and/or Guideline Daily Amounts on menus per portion as a minimum (further nutrients optional)
- Ensure that water is visible and freely available
H5. We will encourage staff to stop smoking, by facilitating onsite stop smoking support services or by encouraging them to attend local stop smoking services during working time without loss of pay. We will also take action to reduce other risks to respiratory health arising in the workplace.
H6. We will offer staff health checks, e.g. the NHS Lifecheck, with appropriate follow up and audit. We will also encourage eligible employees to participate in the NHS Health Check for vascular disease, and other NHS screening programmes (for example for breast or bowel cancer).
H7. We will embed the principles of the Mental Health Workplace Adjustments Guide (developed through the Responsibility Deal’s health at work network) within HR procedures to ensure that people with mental health conditions are managed at work in the best way possible with reasonable flexibilities and workplace adjustments.