Drugs licensing

Companies and individuals in England, Wales or Scotland need to apply for Home Office licences if they wish to produce, supply, possess, import or export controlled drugs.

Latest on this topic

  • Licensing replacement programme update
    The deadline for applications for phase 1 of the licence replacement project closed on 30 June 2012. We are currently considering the applications we have received.
    If your company is in phase 1 and you have not yet applied for a licence, but still wish to do so, you should contact us urgently.

    We will shortly be reviewing the licences of those phase 1 licence-holders who did not apply, and contacting them with formal notices of revocation of licences.
    Licences will remain valid until the date contained in those notices. Licence-holders who have applied for a renewal of their licence in phase 1 will continue to be able to trade under the terms of their existing licence until we consider their application.

    Phase 2 was launched on 31 July 2012. We have sent letters of commencement to those licence-holders in phase 2 to notify them that they have until 31 October 2012 to review their licensing requirements and re-apply for a time-limited licence. Please ensure you submit your applications in good time.

    Please check our FAQs and visit controlled drug domestic licences and precursor chemical domestic licensing for further information.
    Published 22 August 2012
  • New payment line phone number
    From 6 August 2012 licensees who wish to pay for their licence fees by card will need to call the SSC payment line on the new number: 0845 010 0125. More fees information is on the drug licensing fees page.
    Published 19 July 2012
Share |