Part 1: Overview

You’ll need planning permission from your local planning authority (LPA) if you want to develop land or buildings.

Your LPA is usually your local council. In national parks the LPA is the national park authority.

Find your LPA on the Planning Portal website.

You may need planning permission for:

  • constructing or changing buildings
  • changing the use of land or buildings
  • demolishing some buildings

The LPA can either:

  • give you planning permission (possibly with conditions)
  • turn you down