Magnox, owned by EnergySolutions, is the management and operations contractor responsible for 10 nuclear sites and one hydroelectric plant in the UK.
Under contract to the site owner, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, the company is responsible for electricity generation at Wylfa, Oldbury and Maentwrog, defuelling at Chapelcross, Dungeness A and Sizewell A, and the decommissioning of Hunterston A, Berkeley, Hinkley Point A, Bradwell and Trawsfynydd.
- To build on Magnox’s excellent safety and environmental performance
- To maximise value from the remaining electricity generating sites and safely bring to an end 50 years of Magnox electricity generation in the UK
- To complete the programme for dealing with the remaining spent fuel and in so doing avoid leaving behind any legacy of this material
- To reduce risk and cost by delivering enhanced value through the Magnox Optimised Decommissioning Programme (MODP)
- To deliver Bradwell and Trawsfynydd into a ‘Care and Maintenance’ state
- To Pioneer innovative and transformational solutions and ways of working
- To reshape and reduce our workforce in line with the MODP whilst providing strong and responsive support to our people and maintaining operational resilience
- To deliver the programme by fostering partnership among employees, agency staff, trade unions, the supply chain and other strategic partners
- Recognising the future beyond five years is all about decommissioning – to progressively transform Magnox Limited into a fit-for-purpose, world class, high performing decommissioning organisation.