To tax your vehicle online you’ll need to be the registered keeper of the vehicle. You can renew your tax any day from the 5th day of the month it is about to expire.

What you need to know

Get startedon the Directgov website

What you need to know

  • Debit or credit card required

You can tax your vehicle online or by phone if you:

  • are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and vehicle details are up-to-date with DVLA
  • have your V11 reminder letter or V5C registration certificate
  • have valid insurance
  • have an MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) - this must be valid when the tax disc starts
  • have a debit or credit card (there’s a £2.50 service charge if you use a credit card and no charge if you use a debit card)

You should get your new tax disc in the post within 5 working days.

Claiming disability exemption

If you’re claiming disability exemption you’ll need your DLA404, Certificate of Entitlement, MHS330 or WPA0442.

You will also need the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the exemption certificate holder along with the certificate serial number. You don’t need a credit card or debit card if applying to tax your vehicle in the disabled tax class.

If you’re taxing in the disabled tax class for the first time you can’t do this online or by phone. You can only do this at a Post Office branch that issues tax discs.

Other ways to apply

Apply by phone

Telephone: 0300 123 4321
Textphone: 0300 790 6201

By post or at a Post Office

Take your V11 reminder form to any Post Office that issues tax discs or post it to the address shown on the form.

Take or send the following:

  • completed V11 reminder
  • insurance certificate or cover note
  • MOT certificate if required (must be valid when the tax disc starts)
  • the payment shown on the reminder (if needed)

If you don’t have your V11 reminder you can get a tax disc using form V10.

Get started on the Directgov website