- provides: strategic direction and leadership for pathology services
- ensures: the maintenance of high standards of training
- contributes: wide ranging experience and expertise in the field
- is responsible for: modernising and standard setting in pathology services
- leads: the QIPP workstream on pathology
- works closely with: the Chief Scientific Officer, Professor Sue Hill, on the Modernising Scientific Careers programme
About Dr Ian Barnes: Having trained in biochemistry at the University of Bath, and in clinical biochemistry in Bristol and London, he moved to Leeds General Infirmary in 1987 and was Head of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology from 1991 to 1996 and Director of Pathology from 1996 to 1998. Following the merger of the Trusts in Leeds, Dr Barnes was appointed full-time Head of Pathology in 1998, a post he held until 2008.
He has been a member of the Carter Review of Pathology Board and a former Chairman of the Association of Clinical Biochemists, the Federation of Healthcare Science and the Association of Clinical Scientists.
Since 2001, Dr Barnes has been involved in the DH’s Pathology Modernisation programme and in 2005 he was appointed as the first National Clinical Lead for Pathology.
He was made National Clinical Director for Pathology in 2008.