Give the gift of life this Christmas

Professor Dame Sally Davies Chief Medical OfficerBy Chief Medical Officer Professor Dame Sally Davies.

At this time of year, many of us are focused on festivities but as Christmas decorations go up NHS blood donation stocks go down.

7,000 units of blood are needed everyday, but appointments booked for December are far lower than the monthly average. Last year there were 15,000 fewer donations than the average month – this Christmas we want to change this.

There are blood donation sessions across the country over Christmas and New Year. To find out where to go, visit the give blood website or call 0300 123 23 23.

We would encourage everyone who can, to go to their local donation centre and give blood.

96% of the population rely on the other 4% to give blood that saves millions of people each day.

First time donors should be aged between 17-65, weighing at least 50kg (7 stone 12lbs) and be in general good health.

This Christmas give the gift of life to another and donate blood.

Please note: There will be no further CMO updates until 5 January 2012

In CMO message | Tagged ,

Comments are closed.