Drugs licensing

Companies and individuals in England, Wales or Scotland need to apply for Home Office licences if they wish to produce, supply, possess, import or export controlled drugs.

Latest on this topic

  • Christmas closure
    Over the Christmas period the drug licensing and compliance unit will be closed on 26, 27, December and 2 January. There will be limited presence on the 28, 29 and 30 December.

    Licensees are advised to present any pressing applications in advance of these dates
  • Change in billing process
    From 1 December 2011, the drug licensing and compliance unit are changing the way import and export licensees are billed, moving from quarterly to monthly billing in arrears.

    Licensees will be billed for import and export licences provided during October and November at the start of December, and billed monthly onwards.
  • End of paper applications for precursor chemicals imports or exports
    From 1 January 2012, licensees will be required to use the National Drugs control System (NDS). You are required to complete the template for overseas trading partners and register for accounts. Only responsible officers and guarantors, as stated on your domestic licence, will be able to electronically submit licence applications.
Share |