Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Reduced Earnings Allowance

If you can't earn as much as you normally could because of an accident or disease caused by your work, you may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA).

Who is eligible?

You may qualify for Reduced Earnings Allowance if you're suffering from an illness or disability caused by a work-related accident or disease that happened before 1 October 1990.

How much do you get?

£60.12 per week is the maximum rate.

Your individual circumstances, for example whether or not you're working, can affect the amount you get. You'll need to contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for more details.

How Reduced Earnings Allowance is paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.

Effect on benefits

The following benefits may be affected if you start to get Reduced Earnings Allowance:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

You'll need to contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for more details.

How to claim

It's important to claim straight away or you could lose the benefit. Ask your local Jobcentre Plus office for a claim form.

You'll need to prove your identity when making a claim. You'll also have to answer questions about your circumstances and background and provide official documents to support that information.

What to do if your circumstances change

Tell your local Jobcentre Plus office if your circumstances change, although in most cases this is unlikely to affect Reduced Earnings Allowance payments.

Changes that don't affect the payment include:

  • going into hospital
  • going into a nursing home or residential care
  • starting voluntary work

If you leave the UK to live permanently outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you won't be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance.

But if it's a temporary visit, you can usually claim for the first three months of your stay. This can be longer in special circumstance but you'll need to check with the International Pensions Centre to see if you qualify.

What else you need to know

If you get more than £2 a week Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age and you're not in regular employment, it'll be replaced by another benefit called Retirement Allowance.

There is another kind of benefit, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, for people who have become disabled as a result of an accident or disease at work.

For general advice you can call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 (8.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday). Or textphone 0800 243 355

If you'd like more help with benefits, you can ring the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 (textphone 0800 243 355). This is a confidential advice service for disabled people and their carers.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.