Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Changes that affect your benefit

If you get benefits and your circumstances change, tell your local benefits office as soon as possible. Reporting changes quickly, means you'll get any increase or new benefit faster. For some changes your payments may be reduced. Find out how a change in your circumstances can affect your benefit claim.

Changes you need to report

You must report any change in your circumstances to your local benefit office as soon as it happens, whether or not you think the change is directly related to your benefits.

Some examples of the changes you need to report include:

  • getting married, entering into a civil partnership or moving in with a partner
  • moving house
  • getting a new job, whatever hours you work or pay you receive
  • getting a pay rise
  • inheriting or unexpectedly coming into money
  • taking in a lodger
  • no longer being sick or ill
  • travelling or moving abroad

How changes may affect your benefits

Sometimes a change in your circumstances may mean that your benefit rate will change, or that you become entitled to an additional or a different benefit. For example, if you're a lone parent getting Housing Benefit and you decide to look for work, you may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance as well.

Other changes in your circumstances, for example getting a pay rise, may mean you no longer qualify for a benefit or will get a reduced amount.

Benefit fraud

If you deliberately fail to report a change in your personal circumstances you are treated as having committed benefit fraud. If you're prosecuted for benefit fraud you could be fined or get a prison sentence.

See 'What happens if you're suspected of benefit fraud?' for the rules about loss of benefit entitlement following a benefit fraud offence.

Other times your benefits may change

Sometimes your benefits may change even when your circumstances remain the same. For example, the government increases most benefit payments to make sure they keep in line with inflation each year. You'll be told of any changes that affect the amount of money you get.

Reporting changes

You can report a change in your circumstances or find out how your benefits might change, by contacting your local benefit office.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.