Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. Find out who can get Carer's Allowance and how to claim.

Can I get Carer's Allowance?

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you:

  • are aged 16 or over
  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person

They should be getting one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate for personal care)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

However, you can't get Carer's Allowance if:

  • you're in full-time education with 21 hours or more a week of supervised study - or doing a course described as full-time by the college or establishment providing it
  • you earn more than £100 a week after certain deductions (like Income Tax) have been made

How much do you get?

The weekly rate is £55.55. This is reduced by the amount of certain other benefits, including State Pension, that you get.

If you receive certain other benefits at £55.55 or more a week, you won't get Carer's Allowance as well.

How to claim Carer's Allowance

You can ask for a claim form over the telephone, by contacting the Carer's Allowance Unit or your local Jobcentre Plus office.

You can download the claim form or claim online.

How Carer's Allowance is paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

Getting Carer's Allowance can affect the following for you or the person you care for:

  • benefits
  • allowances
  • pensions
  • entitlements

Changes in circumstances - for you or who you care for

Changes to your circumstances - and those of the person you care for - can affect your eligibility for Carer's Allowance, or the amount you get.

For example, changes to your income or employment, if you go into full-time education or take a break from caring.

What else you should know

If you receive Carer's Allowance and move to another country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you may continue to receive it under certain circumstances. To find out more use the following link. 

If you are already living in another European Economic Area country or Switzerland, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (care component only) under certain circumstances. Follow the link below to find out more.

Making a complaint about the Disability and Carers Service

The Disability and Carers Service is part of the Department for Work and Pensions and provides financial help to disabled people and carers. It deals with claims for Carer's Allowance as well as several disability benefits.

If you are unhappy with the service the Disability and Carers Service has provided, you can make a complaint.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.