Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Sunday, 30 October 2011

Independence at home

If you have an impairment or a health condition that makes living alone difficult, making some adaptations to your home may help. Or you can get extra support to help you live in your home. Find out about about your rights and what your local council can do to help.

Living in your own home

If you live in your own home there are three main considerations:

  • do you receive the necessary support to make sure you can live as independently as possible?
  • do you have equipment to help you on a daily basis?
  • does your home need adapting in any way?

You have the right for your needs to be assessed by the social services department of your local council.

Following a health and social care assessment, an occupational therapist may recommend types of equipment and ideas about adapting your home.

You may be entitled to financial help, such as a Disabled Facilities Grant, to pay for adaptations or improvements to your home.

Independent living support

Home Improvement Agencies are not-for-profit organisations which can help with adaptations to your home.

Help from your local council

Your local council housing office can tell you about council services. They can also tell you about the housing association properties in your area advise you on which may be suitable for you.

The housing office can also tell you about supported or sheltered housing and care homes in your area.

Supported or sheltered housing enables people to live independently but with extra daily support.

Care homes offer a level of support that cannot be provided in your own home. Some offer full-time nursing care while others support people with a specific disability or medical need.

Was this information useful?

How useful did you find this information?

500 character limit
Your Privacy Opens new window

Why are we asking for this information?

  • we want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • your comments will help us improve our pages
  • your comments will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.