Heath Town War Memorial
Located in Heath Town park, the lone figure of a bronze soldier, dressed in World War 1 battle dress, stands atop a granite stone base with bronze plaques on the sides of the pedestal.
A re-dedication ceremony to mark the restoration of the War Memorial in Heath Town Park, took place on Tuesday, 2 December 2008.
The event, which had been organised by the city council together with the South Staffordshire branch of the Royal British Legion, was led by the Archdeacon of Walsall, the Venerable Bob Jackson. The Mayor of Wolverhampton, Councillor Christine Mills also laid a wreath.
The War Memorial, which is a Grade II-listed building, was built in 1920 and paid for by public subscription. It is listed because of the fine quality of its statue of a serviceman, which was created by the sculptor George Arthur Walker. Walker is best known for his statue of Florence Nightingale which stands in Waterloo Place, London.
Over the years the memorial, which stands close to the entrance of Heath Town park, had suffered some damage. Two years ago, the attempted theft of the dedication plaque led the council to apply successfully for a grant from the War Memorials Trust to assist with a total restoration of the monument, and the work has recently been completed.
Restoration of the memorial cost £18,000. The memorial was unveiled on 25 September 1920. Its restoration has been carried out by the Council, together with The War Memorials Trust, The Wolfson Foundation and English Heritage. Work included the cleaning and repair of the bronze work (originally cast at Fiorini's Foundry in London), including the replacement of the serviceman's rifle and the damaged dedication plaque. The setting immediately around the memorial has also been enhanced, including the provision of a new granite plinth, and planting on the mound on which the memorial stands.