Boat registration - Anglian Waterways

Register a boat on the Rivers Great Ouse, Nene, Stour, Ancholme, Black Sluice, Welland and Glen.

Tariffs and application forms

Get a Boat Safety Certificate

Most powered boats on Environment Agency Anglian waters must pass a Boat Safety Scheme Examination and carry a valid Boat Safety Scheme Certificate.

To download the complete guide to the Boat Safety Scheme requirements, including preparing for the examination and booking an examiner, go to the Boat Safety Scheme website:    

Electric boat dispensation

To encourage environmentally friendly boating we offer a 25 per cent discount for electrically powered craft. Electric craft are defined as mechanically propelled and the discount will be calculated from the relevant tariff in that category.

Please post your completed forms to:

Environment Agency
PO Box 214

The registration charges are from 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012.

Anglian Waterways annual and short-term/ visitor registrations

There are three main types of registration:

1. Anglian Waterways registrations

When you apply for this registration you can use all Environment Agency Anglian navigations; Great Ouse, Nene, Stour, Ancholme, Black Sluice, Welland and Glen.

2. Restricted waterways

Reduced navigation charges are available on the Rivers Ancholme, Black Sluice, Welland and Glen.

3. Gold Licence

Boaters using  Anglian Waterways need one of the registrations detailed above, OR a British Waterways Gold Licence. The British Waterways Rivers and Canals licence is NOT valid on Environment Agency waterways. For more information see below:

Short-term/visitor registration

We offer 1, 7 and 31 day registrations. See our Anglian Waterways tariff on navigation charges for further information.

Definition of vessel

1. Manually propelled

A manually propelled vessel has no mechanical propulsion and is powered manually by its crew. Examples of manually powered craft include canoes, rowing boats and pedal powered craft.   

Members of Canoe England, British Rowing and the British Stand Up Paddling Association are already registered with the Environment Agency, but may be asked to show membership details to our enforcement staff. 

2. Sailing vessel

A sailing vessel is a vessel without an engine and has no form of facilities.

3. Mechanically propelled

A mechanically propelled vessel is not a sailing vessel or manually propelled. The horse-power will determine which tariff class it comes under.

All mechanically propelled vessels (apart from open vessels) will require a valid Boat Safety Certificate before registration can be obtained.

Contact us

If you require any clarification or help with your application please contact us by phone on 0118 953 5650 or by email at