You are here:

Personal and household finance

Your family's money

Benefits, tax credits and earnings are vital sources of financial support for carers. Carers and the people they care for may also be eligible for council tax discounts (including the council tax disability reduction). 

This section contains information on saving money on your household utility bills, such as gas, electricity, water and your TV licence.

It also has information about council tax discounts and the disability reduction on council tax. These are not affected by your income or savings, or by the income and savings of the person you look after. To check if you, or they, are eligible call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 or see Directgov: council tax discounts and exemptions.

Finally, being a carer, especially if you have to give up work in order to care, can make a significant difference to your state or personal pension. You will find information in this section on national insurance credits, carers credit, and how to get financial advice if you have a personal pension.

See our tool below to check what benefits you might be entitled to.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 18 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating

Last reviewed: 14/01/2010

Next review due: 14/01/2012

Call Carers Direct on 0808 802 0202

Free, confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles or you can request a free call back.

You can also ask for a call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can send a query to our advisers by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.