Vehicle Licensing Online
Return to Directgov Motoring Welsh/Cymraeg Page Text Too Small?   Services Provided By DVLA: DVLA
  Apply for a tax disc Now
  Declare SORN
  Vehicle Enquiry
  Common Questions
  Have your say
  Page text too small?
  Contact Us

to the DVLA's vehicle online services

You can apply for a new tax disc or, if you intend to take the vehicle off the road,
declare Statutory Off Road Notification, known as SORN, directly over the internet.

You can also use the Vehicle Enquiry service to check what information DVLA holds on its
database about a vehicle.

How does it work?
  • You tell us the vehicle. You will need either the 16 digit reference number shown on your renewal reminder, or the 11 digit reference number from your Registration Document/Certificate (also known as the Logbook) and your vehicle registration mark (numberplate).
  • For a new tax disc we check the vehicle is insured and, if applicable has an electronic MOT Test Certificate/GVT Certificate or entitlement to disability exemption.
  • You choose the tax disc you want, 6 or 12 months, and then enter your payment card details.
    Note: an additional charge of 2.50 will be added to the amount payable if you use a credit card.
  • You should receive the new tax disc in the post within 5 working days or a SORN confirmation letter within 4 weeks.

Following the Budget announcement on 23rd March, new rates of vehicle tax came into force as of 1st April 2011. The rate shown on your V11 tax reminder was correct at the time of printing. Due to the changes made in the Budget this may result in you having to pay a different amount of vehicle tax.
Crown copyright Terms and conditions Security and privacy statement Site last updated: 01/04/2011