This jailbreak has been fixed. You can still use it if your device has an old firmware version.
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on certain firmware versions.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
- (If you mistakenly ran Spirit despite using a tethered jailbreak, try these instructions.)
- Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod
touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2 (not 3.2.1).
- An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
- Any version of iTunes 9 earlier than 9.2
- Syncing with iTunes before trying this is highly recommended.
- If you liked this jailbreak, I greatly appreciate donations:
- Update (May 3): I've updated the jailbreak tool. It no longer deletes photos (sorry!) and should resolve the issue with error code c0000005. (If you still get that error with the new version, try setting compatibility mode to Windows 95.)
- Legal information.
- Source code will be available after the inevitable update.
- For troubleshooting purposes, here is a little program to read the syslog (which the spirit installer writes a bunch of stuff to). If you don't know what this means, don't bother.
- Thanks to BigBoss, chpwn, chronic, MuscleNerd, OPK, planetbeing, pod2g, posixninja, saurik, westbaer, and anyone else whose name I have forgotten, for various contributions.
- Plus, special thanks to everyone who donated to me in the past.