Small text Medium text Large text

I’m interested in teaching in Further Education

What is Further Education?

FE offers education and training to an enormous range of learners. Someone looking to improve their literacy skills, a worker who wants to gain a qualification in their trade and those looking to complete A Levels or Degrees are just some of the students who turn to Further Education. Part time and day release courses are frequently offered – in addition to full time courses. The sector includes further education colleges, 6th form colleges,          special colleges

Careers to choose from…

Teachers are employed in a wide range of subjects and can also be known as lecturers, trainers or tutors.

Learning support practitioners make an important contribution to learning and teaching in a variety of settings and have a significant impact on learner achievement.  The new qualifications for learning support practitioners have been developed to support the professionalisation of the learning support workforce and enable a wider recognition of its value both to the learners and to the lifelong learning sector in general.

You can find some helpful information about working in this area in our information sheet:

Learning Support (IAS022)

Assessor/quality assurance – assessors support and assess people working towards vocational qualifications,, ensuring that evidence submitted meets the national occupational standards required to achieve a vocational qualification. The quality assurance role includes supporting and working with assessors to develop assessment procedures and facilitate good practice.

As a new teacher you are required to gain a teaching qualification. Most teaching work in the sector involves you undertaking the Full teaching role. This means you need to work towards the full teaching qualifications and achieve the professional status of QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills).

Qualifications for a Full Teacher

The full teaching qualification is called the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector [usually just DTLLS] but is often also called a PGCE or Cert Ed by universities. It can be done full time, which usually takes one year and is based at a university, or part time over two years [usually ½ day or an evening a week attendance] at either a university, college or other training provider. There is a requirement for 150 hours teaching over the course.

Qualifications for an Associate Teacher

An Associate Teacher teaches sessions but does not do all the things usually associated with  college teachers.They are sometimes called trainers. A new Associate Teacher is required to gain a teaching qualification called the CTLLS – the Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector – and work towards the professional status of ATLS (Associate Teacher Learning and Skills) . The CTLLS is usually a one year part time course, often a half day or evening per week. There is a requirement for 30 hours of teaching over the course


There is an introductory award called Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector ,covering the basics of teaching in the sector, which is 30 hours long. It may be a useful introduction to the work if you are unsure about whether it is for you.

Financial assistance may be available in the form of loans to cover tuition fees, maintenance grants and, for those training to teach a shortage subject, training bursaries. Please have a look at the page Financial Info which contains further information about these financial arrangements for the academic year 2011 / 12.

Where can I do a course?

Please click here to go to our Course list page where you can access course lists by region.

Please also take some time to read or download our information sheet Training to Teach In The Lifelong Learning Sector In England.

001 ENG_Training to Teach in the lifelong learning sector in England

We’ve also created a bitesize job profile on FE Lecturers.  Have a look here.