Commission for Integrated Transport logo

37th CfIT Plenary Meeting - 19 May 2005

Agenda:

1. Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising

2. CfIT - the way forward

3. Work Programme - update on progress towards determining the 2005/6 Work Programme

4. Public expenditure issues - presentation by Stephen Glaister

5. Climate change - next steps

6. Affordable mass transit

7. Retail and leisure parking

8. Working together across Government departments to improve accessibility

9. Use and direction of the CfIT website

10. Objectives for the CfIT conference

The following papers will be taken as read:
11. Work Programme update
12. Media report
13. CfIT website
14. Programme expenditure

Minutes:

Present:

David Leeder (Acting Chair)
Paul Collins (DfT observer)

Commissioners:
John Armitt, Neil Betteridge, Garrett Emmerson, Stewart Francis, Peter Hendy, Sir Michael Hodgkinson, Helen Holland, Stephen Joseph, Mike Parker, Michael Roberts, Neil Scales, Ros Scott, Richard Turner.

Speakers:
Stephen Glaister.

CfIT secretariat:
Ben Still, Catherine De Marco, Richard Mace, Grant Allan, Katie Allister.

Apologies for absence:
Apologies were received from Sir Roy McNulty, Sir Bill Morris, Archie Robertson, Sir Trevor Chinn and Martin Helm.

1. Minutes and Matters Arising

1.1 The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as circulated. All actions had been addressed. The Chair raised the following points under matters arising:

1.2 Departing CfIT members:
Stephen Joseph, Sir Bill Morris and Mike Parker leave CfIT officially on 20 June. The Chair paid tribute to their considerable contributions to CfIT's work over the past six years. DfT have yet to start the process for recruiting new members, as this will require the input of the new Chair. Departing members were invited to attend a special pre-Plenary dinner.

1.3 London Vision:
Members were keen to understand the key figures and assumptions underlying the TfL estimates, particularly regarding the revenue generated, the costs of collection and the ways in which revenue streams could be re-invested.

Action: Peter Hendy to give a presentation at the next CfIT plenary.

2. CfIT - the way forward

2.1 Members discussed how CfIT should seek to influence future transport policies. CfIT's new Chair would have a key bearing on the Commission's media profile. Members considered how best to assist and work alongside the Eddington review. The key future transport issues were identified as climate change, road pricing (implementation issues), pricing and investment across modes, cost control, integration and governance (i.e. at what level should key decisions be taken). Discussion focused on road pricing, where members discussed how best to assist the Department. One suggestion was an event focused on politicians of all parties with a serious interest in road pricing.

3. Public expenditure issues

3.1 The Chair invited Stephen Glaister to present his view of the key economic and public expenditure issues affecting future transport policy, looking ahead to the 5-10 year horizon. Stephen's presentation would set the scene for discussion of CfIT's future work programme.

3.2 Summary of Stephen's key points:

Action: Secretariat to produce a one-page resume of key facts on public expenditure for circulation at the next meeting.

4. Work Programme

4.1 The Acting Chair had attended an informal meeting with DfT on 10 May to discuss possible topics for future work. This would be followed by a formal meeting of the Governance Board once the new Chair is in place. The Acting Chair reported the Department gave its broad support to CfIT's ideas, and if members were in agreement, the Secretariat would continue to work up the project ideas in anticipation of the appointment of the new Chair. It was agreed that the Secretariat could continue working up the proposals in line with members' comments, with a view to further consulting members on how the work might be taken forward.

Action: Secretariat to consider freight and technology issues as they relate to each workstream.

Action: Secretariat to circulate an outline work programme in line with members comments.

5. Climate change

5.1 The Prime Minister was taking a personal interest in the issue of climate change, which would be raised at the G8 summit. Major decisions about energy policy, in particular the possible revival of the nuclear programme, could also affect outcomes. Excluding aviation, the transport industry accounted for 26 per cent of greenhouse emissions and this figure was rising. With emissions from the aviation industry also rising, the question arose as to what were best ways of reducing emissions from the transport industry.

5.2 Following the CfIT response to the Defra consultation, members had expressed an interest in continuing work on climate change, and further work to identify the current research gaps had been commissioned. Members discussed these proposals and agreed that there was a need to focus at a high level, examining the marginal environmental benefit per pound spent for each of the possible transport sector policy interventions. The cost effectiveness of different transport levers, and impacts under a range of scenarios was also felt to be a worthwhile area of study, as was technology. Members noted that there was a need for information on public attitudes, as there currently seemed to be little understanding of perceptions of climate change and the impact on behaviour. Public perceptions about the scale of the problem in turn affected political opinions about this topic. Michael Roberts had agreed to chair the working group. It was agreed that the Secretariat would continue to work up project ideas in consultation with him.

Action: Secretariat as per action in section 4.

6. Affordable mass transit

6.1 Members reviewed the draft report. Wider stakeholder consultations had gone well. A number of suggested amendments / improvements were discussed, which the Secretariat will take up with the consultant. The meeting also raised the option for launching the report at the LGA conference in July.

Action: Secretariat to amend the report and consider options for launching.

7. Retail and leisure parking

7.1 It was agreed to set up a working group to oversee this research project. This would be chaired by Helen Holland, and Stephen Joseph would also sit on the group. The group would look at synergies with other related CfIT projects, such as the buses and the economy study. Members noted that there was a link between this work and social exclusion issues.

Action: Secretariat.

8. Working together across Government departments to improve accessibility

8.1 CfIT had commissioned an academic to produce a "think-piece" in order to generate ideas and discussion. Members felt that the focus of this workstream should be on growth and the planning agenda, with the need to cover the full range of service provision. Whilst the think piece had addressed integration on a headline basis, further lines of enquiry would necessitate involvement on a regional and local level, and issues would need to be addressed in specific areas, possibly on a case study basis. The Communities Plan was suggested as a starting point, as members felt that large scale housing developments were currently being put in place with little regard taken to transport needs. A review of accessibility planning was also proposed, to be timed in conjunction with the delivery of LTP2. Garrett Emmerson had agreed to chair this workstream, and the Secretariat were requested to consider these ideas in consultation with him.

Action: Secretariat.

9. Use and direction of the CfIT website

9.1 The CfIT website had proved a valuable tool for disseminating information to stakeholders. Members agreed that CfIT's website should be overhauled with a view to making the site more user-friendly. The Secretariat would implement the changes with a view to completion in July.

Action: Secretariat.

10. CfIT conference

10.1 After discussion, members agreed to defer a one day conference in order to enable the new Chair to have his or her own input to the event. Members felt that March 2006 might be a better time for a conference.

11.

The following items were noted and approved:

Date of Next Meeting

The next plenary meeting would be held at 9:30am on Thursday 21 July.

CfIT Secretariat
June 2005