Commission for Integrated Transport logo

42nd CfIT Plenary Meeting - 23 March 2006

Agenda:

1. Chair's Introduction

2. Presentation by Dunnhumby - Transport from a Consumer Perspective - presented by Clive Humby and Phil Festa

3. CfIT Mission Statement and Objectives

11.15 - coffee

4. 2006/07 Work Programme

5. Evidence and Research Strategy

6. European Best Practice Update - phase one findings

7. Road Pricing World Review

12.45 - lunch

The following papers are for information only:

8. Minutes of the last meeting

9. Work programme update

10. Media report

11. Correspondence report

12. Calendar of events

13. CfIT website

14. Programme expenditure

Minutes:

Present:
Peter Hendy (Chair)
Sir Trevor Chinn
Andrew Murray (DfT observer)

Commissioners:
David Leeder (Vice-Chair), John Armitt, Neil Betteridge, Harry Bush, Gerry Doherty, Garrett Emmerson, Paul Godier, Helen Holland, Michael Roberts, Baroness Ros Scott, Lynn Sloman, Richard Turner.

CfIT secretariat:
Catherine De Marco, Brian Corbett, Katie Allister, Mo Shahkarami, Richard Mace, Chris Watts, Grant Allan.

Apologies for absence:
Apologies were received from Neil Scales, Archie Robertson, Andrew Sentance and Sir Michael Hodgkinson.

1. Chair's Introduction

The Chair extended a warm welcome to Chris Watts, who will be taking up the post of CfIT secretary on the 10 April.

2. Presentation by Dunnhumby

David Leeder introduced Clive Humby who is the chairman of Dunnhumby, a customer insight research organisation. Dunnhumby is the organisation behind the Tesco Clubcard, and is partially owned by Tesco. David Leeder suggested that the concepts of obtaining and using data about customers involved in Clubcard could be applied to transport; for example, with determining more clearly who would be likely to shift mode if Road User Charging was introduced.

Clive Humby then gave a presentation as to how Dunnhumby operate and the effect that the Clubcard has had upon Tesco. It was felt that information obtained by a similar means to the Clubcard could be used in planning logistics, so that an increase in demand could be planned for in advance, as well increasing home delivery of products. A debate followed as to what lessons could be learnt from the experience of Dunnhumby. Clive Humby stated that it is difficult to attract new customers, and it is far better to influence existing customers; to win people over the product has to be relevant to them - in transport, modal shift is more likely to occur if the journey can be conveniently made by public transport, with cost being of secondary importance.

The chairman concluded that CfIT would need to decide how to incorporate customer insight techniques into its future work programme.

3. CfIT Mission Statement and Objectives

Luke Blair presented a paper which gave members different options as to what the Communications strategy should be. Members discussed the level of involvement that CfIT should have in the transport debate, and the appropriate tone of voice. There was a discussion as to what the modus operandi should be, and who should be speaking to the media on behalf of CfIT. There was general agreement with the suggestion that members would be prepared to speak on one of the five CfIT policy areas. With this agreement, Luke Blair agreed to develop the full media strategy.

Action: Luke Blair to develop the full media strategy.

It was mentioned that it would be useful for a document to be distributed to members detailing previous CfIT work, and a summary of the resultant recommendations, to allow a general CfIT 'line' to be adopted by members.

Action: Secretariat to prepare a 'back-catalogue' of CfIT conclusions.

4. 2006/07 Work Programme

4.1 Streetscapes
It was noted that there is much being done on streetscapes at present. One possible project which CfIT could undertake would be to look at why only a small number of projects have been undertaken in the UK , what the process (of working together) is by which they might be made to happen successfully, and how the benefits might be appraised.

Action: Secretariat to consult CABE / SUSTRANS to consider joint working and develop a proposal.

4.2 The Social Agenda
It was agreed that any work on this topic (Phase 2 of the Integration and Governance work) would need to be scoped carefully, and the objectives of the work would need to be very clearly defined.

Action: Secretariat to scope in conjunction with Garrett Emmerson, Ros Scott and Neil Betteridge.

4.3 The Role of Taxis in Social Inclusion and Rural Transport
There was a discussion on the potential role of the taxi, particularly in serving rural communities with limited access to transport. The CfIT study on Public Subsidy for the Bus Industry had identified the potential for serving this need, and Members felt that further analysis would be beneficial.

Action: Secretariat to scope the project.

Neil Betteridge stated that previous DPTAC research projects had focussed on community transport and found that there was a shortage of longer term revenue support.

Action: Secretariat to contact DPTAC regarding related work on community transport.

4.4 Local Authority Expenditure Update
It was agreed that CfIT would update the original research undertaken in 2004 focussing on funding and structures for Local Authorities.

Action: Secretariat to scope work based on funding and structures.

4.5 Travel Demand Management
It was agreed that there was not much new that CfIT could add to this debate at present, and so this issue will be deferred until next year's work programme.

4.6 Road Pricing
It was decided to contact the Department to determine whether there was anything that CfIT could add to the debate.

Action: Secretariat to contact Steve Gooding at DfT.

4.7 Major Projects
It was agreed that there was already a considerable amount of literature available on Major Projects and so there was little for CfIT to add to this area.

4.8 Ports
Andrew Murray stated that the DfT is about to publish guidelines on ports, and it was agreed that there was no need to do work on this subject at present.

4.9 Freight
It was agreed that there was a potential knowledge gap in terms of the distribution of goods, particularly for local delivery. It was agreed that the Secretariat would seek to identify available data on the subject, to give a better understanding where the may be gaps, and of what CfIT could potentially contribute.

Action: Secretariat to conduct literature review of available data.

5. Evidence and Research Strategy

Members were generally happy with the Evidence and Research Strategy and agreed that the paper should be submitted to DfT. The "evidence needs" needed to be amended to reflect the economics workstream.

Action: Secretariat to amend evidence needs to reflect economics workstream.

6. European Best Practice Update

Andy Southern from Atkins presented phase 1 of the updated paper, which provided an analysis of the data from the Eurostat and Mobility in Cities databases, updating the original research undertaken in 2001. It was explained that whilst the data has just been released, the figures relate to 2001 and 2002. It was agreed that freight utilisation in the EU would be examined in phase 2. Members approved the phase 1 report and agreed to proceed with phase 2 of the project, with increased member input. This second phase would involve deeper analysis behind the results reported in phase one.

Action: Atkins to clarify statistics, Secretariat to procure phase 2.

Action: Action: Members interested in joining working group to contact Secretariat.

7. Road Pricing World Review

Paul Godier gave a presentation on the Road Pricing World Review phase 1 report, which gave case studies on 21 road pricing schemes throughout the world, and suggestions were made as to what form phase 2 should take.

Action: Secretariat to scope phase 2 in conjunction with DfT.

It was mentioned that the Trondheim scheme may be coming to an end, and it was agreed to investigate the latest position.

Action: Secretariat to check the latest situation in Trondheim.

8. Current Work Programme

8.1 Sustainable Transport and the Economy
Helen Holland explained that a questionnaire asking about shopping habits was ready to be sent out, and that the pilot study had been successful.

8.2 Competition
David Leeder had met with Roger Finbow, who would redraft the Competition paper, and suggest some technical solutions. This paper was intended to feed into Robert Devereux's discussion on wider competition issues.

8.3 Sustainable Transport and the Economy
David Leeder explained that they are using a bus model to look at new cost scenarios and are building a rail costs model. It was agreed that Richard Turner would assist in determining the most appropriate freight cost model to produce cost outputs for this project.

Action: Richard Turner to advise the Secretariat on workable road and rail freight costs models.

Date of Next Meeting

The next plenary meeting would be held at 9:30am at the Scottish Executive in Edinburgh on Thursday 18 May.

CfIT Secretariat
March 2006