Commission for Integrated Transport logo

43rd CfIT Plenary Meeting - 18 May 2006

Agenda:

1. Chair's Introduction

2. Integration and Governance paper

3. Pricing and Subsidy (oral update)

4. Priorities for Transport in Scotland - Presentation and discussion with Malcolm Reed from Transport Scotland and John Ewing from the Scottish Executive.

10.30 - coffee

5. Transport Delivery in Edinburgh - Discussion with Graeme Bissett from TIE.

12.15 - lunch

The following papers are for information only:

8. Minutes of the last meeting

9. Work programme update

10. Media report

11. Calendar of events

12. CfIT website

13. Programme expenditure

Minutes:

Present:
Peter Hendy (Chair)
Andrew Murray (DfT observer)

Commissioners:
David Leeder (Vice-Chair), Garrett Emmerson, Paul Godier, Sir Michael Hodgkinson, Helen Holland, Michael Roberts, Archie Robertson, Neil Scales, Baroness Ros Scott, Andrew Sentance, Lynn Sloman, Richard Turner.

CfIT secretariat:
Brian Corbett, Chris Watts.

Apologies for absence:
Apologies were received from John Armitt, Neil Betteridge, Harry Bush, Sir Trevor Chinn and Gerry Doherty.

1. Chair's Introduction

The Chair explained to the Commissioners that the work programme has now been approved by the Governance board. The Chair suggested that a strategy would be required for the release of pieces of research into the public's domain, and so the current work programme would need to be revisited with this in mind.

Peter Hendy and David Leeder met the academics on the framework for an evening seminar, which provided a stimulating debate about the future work programme. A note of the seminar will be circulated to members shortly.

Action: Secretariat to circulate seminar note when complete.

The Chair explained that there had been a recent cabinet reshuffle, with Douglas Alexander appointed the new Secretary of State for Transport. The Chair was pleased that the new Secretary of State had already expressed his support for the principles of road pricing.

The Chair informed members that he had recently attended a Sustainable Communities event at the new Department for Communities and Local Government, and was disappointed to note that transport and local government reform appeared to be low on the agenda of the new department, judging from the context. It was noted that the Local Government White Paper is now not due for release until October.

2. Integration and Governance

A draft version of the Integration and Governance report was presented to the members. The working group chair, Garrett Emmerson, provided a brief overview of the paper, and explained the paper's recommendations. There followed a discussion about the need for more funding of sub-regional projects, including the implications of redirecting funds from local projects to sub-regional projects. Suggestions were made to improve the impact of the paper, including making the key conclusions appeal to 'real people' by making better use of examples, as well as making the sustainable communities objectives clearer.

Action: Paper to be amended by Garrett Emmerson and Secretariat.

3. Pricing and Subsidy

David Leeder provided an oral update on the Pricing and Subsidy project. The final preparatory report had been approved. Models of various scenarios are to be used, and it is hoped that DfT models will be available for use.

Action: Chris Watts to contact DfT with regard to using DfT models.

4. Priorities for Transport in Scotland

John Ewing, head of the Transport Group in the Scottish Executive, and Malcolm Reed, chief executive of Transport Scotland, gave a presentation explaining the current set-up for transport strategy and delivery in Scotland. Commissioners were told about the different functions of each body and how they work together. The National Transport Strategy was explained, and a discussion followed about the workings of the new Regional Transport Partnerships.

5. Transport Delivery in Edinburgh

Graeme Bissett, Finance Director of Transport Initiatives Edinburgh, gave a presentation about the workings of TIE. Graeme explained why TIE was set up, and their achievements to date. Graeme detailed the main challenges that face TIE at present, and also discussed the referendum which brought the congestion charging scheme proposal to a close.

Date of Next Meeting

The next plenary meeting would be held at 9:30am at Ashdown House on Thursday 20 July.

CfIT Secretariat
June 2006