Becta home page

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
52,213 Views 5 Replies Last post: 29-Nov-2009 22:41 by Paul Jordan RSS
Simon Pile Level 1 2 posts since
07-Sep-2009
Currently Being Moderated

20-Nov-2009 20:04

Inspire children to engage parents: Anson Primary School

At Anson Primary School we harness the power of ICT to extend learning beyond the classroom. This is central to our vision, which focuses on teaching children the life skills required for the 21st Century including the constant development of technology. We have a multicultural roll and serve a relatively deprived area in north-west London. We provide our pupils with full exposure to this technology, but always within the context of clear learning objectives. The children are responsible for building large amounts of the content, from simply taking part in votes and adding to forums to building web content. Children are adept at html coding, embedding videos and organising web content.

It is this level of engagement, the pride that they take in their work and their desperation to share it that leads them to engage their parents. As a result parental engagement is high with an active interest in supporting children's learning, interacting with our web content, not just reading information.

The e-safety work is skillfully embedded into all aspects of the school's work, and is distinguished by the use of innovative methods, such as the Betsy Bee character, to teach children how to be safe, responsible and confident ICT users. The messages on e-safety go beyond the classroom to include programmes for parents and the wider community. The learning platform is used to convey and reinforce these messages, as are social networking sites that parents are already using.

Effective use of the learning platform is central to our extended practice. This is the outcome of extensive planning and development by the senior leadership team, which prioritised wider learning opportunities in its ICT development plan. The collaboration site gives us an opportunity to share our practice nationally.

How can you use your learning platform to inspire children who will want to engage their parents?

What help do you need to get this started?

Attachments:
Paul Jordan Level 1 6 posts since
25-Nov-2009
1. 25-Nov-2009 01:00 in response to: Simon Pile
Re: Inspire children to engage parents: Anson Primary School

A great post, Simon. Many thanks for the PowerPoint.

We're looking at other complimentary ways to engage families.

Key is our 'PC Buy-back Scheme', which was noted in the White Paper - http://tr.im/tvi_in_whitepaper . Parents can opt to buy their Asus MiniBooks from us and, after paying a small deposit, pay-in using a 'paying in book'.  I've uploaded some information files below.

Thames View Infants Television is simply a You Tube Channel, on which we're starting to post videos of learning, termly-learning summaries from teachers and a monthly "view from the top" from the Head.  We've just launched, but had already had 250 hits in 2 days!

http://www.tr.im/TVI_YouTube

We're starting to loog at more creative ways to use our blog - opening it up to parents and other year groups (rather than just Yr 2):

http://tvi-y2.blogspot.com/

That's all for now.

Simon Shaw Becta person 14 posts since
21-Dec-2007
2. 26-Nov-2009 10:07 in response to: Paul Jordan

Paul, I've just visited your YouTube site and feel privileged to have been shown around your school and have the staff introduced me.

The power of video to breakdown the barriers between parents and school, by showing the “reality” of school life and teachers as real people that parents can work in partnership with, is quite startling. I think what I like most is how technology is being used in these videos to provide a real focus on key areas in which parents can get involved with the school and their children’s learning e.g. showing parents the new reading books that are available for their children and having a video that shows the guided reading techniques that parents can use to support their child’s development and enjoyment of reading.

I look forward to the next episode!

25-Nov-2009
3. 26-Nov-2009 11:39 in response to: Simon Shaw

The next step is taking place tomorrow - we're using our Eid Observance/Closure day to video our first Termly Podcasts by each teacher, introducing "learning coming up next term"...  Not my original idea - but am keen to embrace this Good Practice!

Simon Shaw Becta person 14 posts since
21-Dec-2007
4. 26-Nov-2009 15:24 in response to: Simon Pile

Simon, many thanks for posting your presentation from the Primary Online Reporting Briefing.

In terms of the impact of online activity on children's learning and achievement this is one of the most persuasive things I've ever seen.

The story it tells is stunning - starting with the topics and subjects that are actually being discussed by learners, parents at the school gates and staff in the staffroom i.e. x-factor - using technology and the safe environment of a learning platform to enable learners to initiate and participate in these discussions with peers, teachers and parents as part of their development of reading and writing - and finally being able to monitor and track the use of the ICT to demonstrate and show the link between the use of technology and individual, group and school learner outcomes. This is powerful stuff and the only skills required to engage learners, staff and parents is to be able to use social networking type tools within a learning platform that increasingly most people are already familiar with.

In fact it has had such an impact on me that I've even started to admit in public that I do watch the x-factor myself.... and as a result have had some very meaningful, intellectually stimulating and almost philosophical discussions with a range of people I wouldn't normally engage with!

25-Nov-2009
5. 29-Nov-2009 22:41 in response to: Simon Shaw

"Coming Up After the Break"...

For Inset I inspired my staff with this http://tr.im/G8nF a 1980's in-vision continuity clip from Thames - I explained how, 'back in the day' continuity announcers came on our screen between programmes to promote was "Coming up after the break"...   Armed with video cameras they spent 2 hours preparing their own run-down of learning 'coming up after the Christmas break' here at TVI.

We've done a soft launch on TVI TV on You Tube, but the hard launch will start at our Christmas Concerts!

I'll let you know how they'e received.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)