Becta home page

This Question is Possibly Answered

1 "correct" answer available (4 pts) 2 "helpful" answers available (2 pts)
34,067 Views 2 Replies Last post: 22-Feb-2010 20:29 by Andy Mellor RSS
Peter Goh Level 1 7 posts since
15-Jun-2009
Currently Being Moderated

11-Feb-2010 12:01

Who checks whether our school has met the parental engagement on line criteria

not that I am planning on not doing it!!!! but is there an audit....or.....is it part of ofsted....

or is this an ideal....

We are well on our way and have managed to get report profiles for parents on line. we are ready to trial attendance and behaviour and still need to work on SEN.

thanks

Pete

Simon Shaw Becta person 14 posts since
21-Dec-2007
Currently Being Moderated
1. 11-Feb-2010 13:18 in response to: Peter Goh
Re: Who checks whether our school has met the parental engagement on line criteria

Thanks Peter, this is an interesting question which we are often asked.

It is expected that schools will be "Exploiting ICT to improve parental engagment, including online reporting". However there is currently no statutory or regulatory requirement. You may wish to look at the Pupil and Parent Guarantees consultations http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1692&external=no to see how this might change in the future.

Becta will of course be monitoring the progress that schools are making in general towards the expectations but we will not be "inspecting" individual schools. Ofsted will be inspecting parental engagement and I've attached the section of the evaluation schedule for schools that relates to this - it is very difficult to see how a school would be able to achieve "good" or "outstanding" without making effective use of ICT!  I've also attached a spreadsheet that relates what Ofsted is looking for to the different means by which schools might implement online reporting.

Personally, I do believe we are seeing a cultural shift towards parents taking responsibility for their children's education and holding schools to account for the information that they do or do not receive, whether simply through parental choice or through the processes of inspection and complaints. So ultimately it will be parents who will be doing the checking....!

Andy Mellor Level 1 2 posts since
20-Nov-2008

Peter, without wanting to flog a product as such, we were 1 of the first three primaries to gain parental engagement quality mark from SSAT.

All 3 of us are now eligible assessors so if you wanted to go down a formal accreditation route we could help.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)