Public Sector Information Unlocking Service (beta)
What's it about?
As the regulator for public sector information re-use, we know that people can encounter difficulty from time to time getting hold of the information they need in the formats they want. Such difficulties can include issues with charging, licensing or the data standards that public sector information is provided in.
These issues are not about access (which are dealt with under access legislation, such as the Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations), but all the other pitfalls which can occur when you want to do something with public sector information - copy it, remix it with other data or add value and republish it. If you are trying to re-use some public sector information, but the data you need is locked-up, this service is for you.
How it works
- You describe the public sector information asset you want unlocked for re-use, and post a request to the service. We'll check through your request and if it's OK (e.g. not a request under access legislation) we will add it here. You need to know that the information is potentially accessible and that no Freedom of Information exemption applies.
- Others can see your request and support it, either by adding a comment or by voting. The more support a request has, the better the chances of unlocking the information you want to re-use.
- We'll contact the public sector information holder and see what can be done to unlock the information for re-use. To keep things simple, if the problem relates to an issue specifically covered by the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations or the Information Fair Trader Scheme, we'll treat it accordingly - so you do not need to make a separate complaint.
Recent Requests and Offers
- Health Insurance Claims - Transactions Data (0 votes)
- Number of cars per household by number of rooms in the property (1 vote)
- ActivePlaces (0 votes)