Planning, building and the environment

Content under review

Following the change of government we are reviewing all content on this website.

Energy Assessment

Energy assessors are responsible for carrying out assessments and producing Energy Performance Certificates, Display Energy Certificates and Air Conditioning Reports.

Energy assessors must be members of an accreditation scheme and have the appropriate qualifications or competence for the type of work they carry out..

To find an energy assessor

All accreditation schemes hold lists of their accredited energy assessors and should be able to provide contact details of assessors available to work in your area. Domestic Energy Assessors (DEAs) and On-Construction Domestic Energy Assessors (OCDEAs) can also be found by searching the database of accredited domestic energy assessors.

It is also likely that estate agencies, energy suppliers and other large companies will advertise if they are able to provide assessments. It is important to keep in mind that different schemes provide different types of assessor.

What does an assessment for an EPC involve?

An accredited energy assessor needs to visit a property to conduct an energy assessment for an existing building. During the assessment they collect information on the property, which includes details of its dimensions, construction and heating/hot water provision.

The time taken to perform an energy assessment will vary according to the size and nature of the property. Because of the wide variation of commercial buildings, any form of 'average time' would not be meaningful.

This information is fed into the approved software programme which produces the EPC and recommendation report. The energy assessor will then record the certificate onto a national register via his or her accreditation scheme and provide the seller, or prospective landlord with a copy. The certificate is then ready to be given to new building owners or made available to prospective buyers or tenants.

In this section

My favourites