Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

You may be able to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you are ill or disabled because of an accident or event that happened at work or in connection with work. The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Who is eligible

You may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if:

  • you were employed when the accident or event happened
  • the work accident or event that caused your illness or disability happened in England, Scotland or Wales

There are some exceptions you can ask your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit delivery centre about.

Who is not eligible

You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed in work that caused your accident.

How much you can get

The amount of benefit you get depends on:

  • your age
  • the seriousness of your disability - assessed by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 per cent

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

All amounts are a guide only:

Assessed level of disablement Aged over 18 (weekly amount) Aged under 18 with no dependants (weekly amount)
100% £145.80 £89.35
90% £131.22 £80.42
80% £116.64 £71.48
70% £102.06 £62.55
60% £87.48 £53.61
50% £72.90 £44.68
40% £58.32 £35.74
30% £43.74 £26.81
20% £29.16 £17.87

How it is paid

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and related benefits are paid into your bank, building society, Post Office or National Savings account that accepts Direct Payment.

If you are registered blind or need someone who cares for you to collect the payment, you can be sent a cheque to be cashed at the Post Office.

Effect on other benefits

If you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, this may affect other benefits you might receive that depend on how much money you have coming in.

If you get Income Support or Pension Credit, or any other kind of benefit because you are on a low income, contact the office that handles your claim for further information.

How to claim

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit by completing a claim form

You can get a claim form from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Delivery Centre or download a copy.

Reporting a work accident

You can apply for a declaration that you have had an industrial accident, even if you do not want to claim any benefit right away.

It is a good idea to apply for a declaration if you are not disabled immediately after your accident, but you think you may experience problems in the future as a result.

What to do if your circumstances change

It is important you contact the office that deals with your payments if you or someone you claim for:

  • goes into or leaves hospital
  • goes into or leaves a care home
  • goes abroad to live or visit
  • goes into prison

It is likely you or the person you are caring for will continue to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - even if you are going abroad permanently.

Reduced Earnings Allowance is not payable if you move abroad permanently.

The office that deals with your payment can give you more information.

Other benefits you may be able to receive

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim for accidents where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.

The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you are paid is based on a doctor's assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £58.40 paid in addition to the Constant Attendance Allowance rates, if you are assessed at Constant Attendance Allowance intermediate or exceptional rate and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

You may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if your current earnings, or earnings in a job which it is considered you could do, are less than the current earnings in your previous regular occupation. You can only get REA if your accident occurred before 1 October 1990. The maximum weekly rate is £58.32.

Retirement Allowance

Retirement Allowance replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age. The maximum weekly rate is £14.58.

Help to stay in employment

If your health or disability affects the way you do your job, the Access to Work scheme may help you to stay in work.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • We want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • Your comments will help us improve our pages
  • They will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • Telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys