Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Young carers

If you are a young carer aged under 18 there is support available. Your local council can help with your wellbeing and support you in your role as a carer.

Support for young carers

The support available means that young carers: 

  • should not have to carry out a regular and substantial amount of caring for a disabled person
  • do not take on similar levels of caring responsibilities as adults

Local authorities should make sure that the education, development and general well-being of young carers is not affected by caring responsibilities.

Assessments for young carers

Very occasionally a 16 or 17 year old who cares for someone may be entitled to an assessment. Your local council has a responsibility to make sure a young carer's well-being is looked after and that they receive necessary support. The local council should also make sure that a young person does not get trapped in a role as a carer.

Find out about advice and support for young carers locally

The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local council website, where you can find out about the advice and support available to you in your local area. The search only works for councils in England.

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • We want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • Your comments will help us improve our pages
  • They will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • Telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Access keys