Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu


If you are retiring abroad, you can continue to receive your UK state pension. You can get pension yearly increases if you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or country with a special UK agreement. Find out more about claiming your pension while abroad.

Receiving your state pension when moving abroad

If you are moving permanently, you will only get yearly increases in your pension if you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country. You will get yearly increases in your pension if moving to one of the countries that have a special agreement with the UK.

You will find a link to a list of countries in the EEA below.

If you are not planning to live in another EEA country for some time, you will need the State Pension forecast application form (BR19). You can get this from your local Jobcentre Plus office or social security office.

If you are moving to another EEA country or anywhere else in the world you will need to inform the UK Pensions Service. Let the UK Pensions Service know that you are moving abroad and give them your new address (contact details are below).

Building up a state pension abroad in the EEA

State pension age and entitlements vary from country to country

You may want to know about your own pension rights in another country in the EEA. You need to ask the department or unit responsible for pensions and benefits in that country. Check the government website for the country where you are moving to or are living in.

The state pension age and entitlements may vary depending on which country you are going to live in.

UK pension forecast

You can ask for a forecast of the UK state pension. You can expect to get up to four months before you reach the UK pension age.

Forecasts tell you what your pension is now and whether or not you can get more by the time you reach UK pension age. It will not include any insurance you have paid in another EEA country.

If you are living outside the UK you will need to contact HM Revenue & Customs for pension forecasts. You can ask any questions about your National Insurance contributions. The contact details are:

HM Revenue & Customs Charities, Assets and Residence (Residency)
Room BP1301
Benton Park View
NE98 1ZZ

If you are in the UK you can also telephone the Centre for Non-Residents (Newcastle) helpline on:

Tel: 0845 915 4811

If you are telephoning from outside the UK, dial the international code, then:

Tel: +44 191 203 7010

Claiming your pension in the EEA

Remember to tell the Pension Service when you move abroad

Every EEA country has its own rules and the pensionable age may vary.

If you have been paying in to a state pension in the UK you will be sent a claim form from the Pensions Service. You usually get this four months before you reach the UK pensionable age. It will ask you if you want to claim a UK retirement pension. It also asks for details of any periods of residence and state insurance you have in other countries. You may be or have been living in another EEA country and claim a pension from that country. The UK Pension Service will pass details of your claim to any other EEA country where you have been insured.

Change of address

Remember to tell the Pension Service when you change your address or the form may not get to you. If may have an enquiry about your pension when you are abroad. You can either complete the online form or contact the Pension Service International Pension Centre:

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
NE98 1BA
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777

In this section...

Was this information useful?

Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
Thinking about what you have just read, how useful did you find the information?
500 character limit

Why are we asking for this information?

  • We want to hear what you think about the quality and usefulness of our pages
  • Your comments will help us improve our pages
  • They will also help with the future development of Directgov
  • Telling us what you think will help make sure we give you the very best service

Additional links

Access keys