Energy help and advice

This section gives advice and information on energy issuesfor both domestic and business consumers. It will help you find out about the best energy deals and check on your consumer rights.

We can also help you make an effective complaint to your energy company or use the new energy ombudsman service.

If you have an energy problem, in the first instance you should contact your energy supplier. If you are dissatisfied with their response, your complaint should be escalated within the supplier in accordance with its complaint handling procedures. Unresolved disputes can be investigated by the Energy Ombudsman. For further details of the Energy Ombudsman’s service click here.

Consumer Direct can also provide independent information and advice on how to progress your complaint. For further details of the Consumer Direct service click here.

For consumers who have been disconnected or threatened with disconnection, or who are unable to pursue their complaint directly with their supplier, Consumer Direct may refer the case to the Consumer Focus Extra Help Unit for investigation. For further information on the role of the Extra Help Unit click here.

Please note, the energy and advice section resides on our central, UK-wide website, and the following links will transfer you there.