Cabinet Office Homepage

Cabinet Office website

Main navigation

Putting things right

The complaints procedure for the Cabinet Office

The Cabinet Office aims to:

What to do if you have a complaint

You can complain about the Cabinet Office or a member of Cabinet Office staff in writing, by fax, email, phone or in person. If you want to complain in person you will need to make an appointment.

If you know the name or title of the member of staff or the Department your complaint relates to, you should make your complaint direct to them. It will be helpful if you refer to this procedure when you make your complaint.

What happens next

If you complain in person or by phone, we will try to resolve your complaint immediately. If you complain in writing, by fax or email, we will aim to respond promptly, and always within 15 days. If this is not possible, we will explain why and let you know how long it will take.

If you are not happy with the initial response you receive, you should contact us again and ask for your complaint to be passed to a more senior member of staff.

Following our second response, if you are still not satisfied, you can ask for your complaint to be referred to the Head of the Cabinet Office.

If you remain unhappy with the Department's actions, you may ask a Member of Parliament to request that the independent Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (the Ombudsman) investigates your complaint and/or the way it has been handled.